June 24, 2009

An Invitation: The American Dream

We all want to find success - in pursuit of our passion, or in establishing financial freedom. We want to be high achievers in work, love, family, and education. Social media works so well because we all have egos. We want to shout our accomplishments from the rooftops. If that's the case, then yes, call this my rooftop. After all, I live in a city with limited roof access.

The "American dream," of social mobility has evolved and intertwined with our demand for instant gratification, and now it seems Americans (and we are not alone in this, of course) are enticed by a life of excess. Call it what you will, but it's more than consumerism, it's a culture of emulating the wrong culture makers. A drive to live like a star. Is the "American Dream" what drove this nation into debt? Has it become a little bit soulless? Perhaps. It may be time for a new American dream.

There's that environmental dream on the horizon. I heard it first in whispers when smog covered LA in the 80s. To some extent, I consider myself an environmentalist. But I don't want to forgo society for one cause. This isn't about a cause, it's about lifestyle choices. To that end, I've heard great speeches which leave me questioning if the massive portion of my paycheck spent on rent couldn't better be distributed to the hungry, the needy, the impoverished, ill and elderly in this community or elsewhere. But I worked for this paycheck, I earned it. Don't I deserve to enjoy the (organic) fruits of my labor? Or is that just an icky outcropping of entitlement?

In all of my professional pursuits, I work with and for organizations and institutions that change the world, whether it's by supporting families, educating our youth, researching environmental trends and solutions to poverty. There is no denying that I have chosen a profession which is part of the greater picture, and I am proud of what I do. I will always question what personal decisions I make... I just may not do it at the moment I'm trying on those glorious shoes at DSW.


Is it selfish of me to want the red heels or cashmere sweater? Is it worse for me to skimp and buy an item from a company that probably employed underage and overworked children? What can I do to assuage this guilty conscience?

I am going to dedicate myself to accomplishing my own American dream. The one that includes a bevy of activities that make me happy. Those that I can both enjoy and create: food, art, social opportunities, Jewish learning & teaching, writing, yoga and those which I can pursue: friendship, love, perfect nights, new experiences, eco-consciousness, happiness, health, and that ever elusive sense of balance.

So I invite you to share in my experiences, accomplishments and challenges. It's bound to be an exciting trip.

1 comment:

  1. You got a blog!

    Welcome to the roof! It's fun up here! I hear there's a pool around here somewhere...

    You articulated how I feel a lot of the time: caught between wanting to do what's right for the environment and you-know-what-I-just-want-some-new-shoes-darnit! I love your attitude and am excited to read what's in store!

    ReplyDelete